Monday 22 June 2020

Last in, first out


Indeed, let's start with my last finished project, just to get started.

I've always been in love with toy soldiers, especially the old "Little Wars" style castings and also with the Britains Deetail range of plastic soldiers.

I was looking for an original gift for a fellow retired officer of cavalry. The unit he grew up in and where his heart is, is the Belgian 4e Regiment Lansiers (4th Lancers Regiment). Then it struck me: why not paint up some glossy toy soldiers as Belgian  lancers? And the I thought: well, why not present them in a box, as if they where made by some toy soldier manufacturer?

And so I did...

Irregular miniatures German Uhlan Troopers, painted up as  Belgian 4e Regiment Lansiers

In the Britains boxes of four cavalry, you also had a trumpeter or standard bearer and an officer, so I made up those. The officer arm was a bit awkward as it had a hand stifly extending from the arm, so I had to sculpt on a light cavalry sword.

The trumpeter's and officer's horses are different colours from the trooper's horses. Small mistake which can still be corrected: the piping on the officer's chapska should be gold.

The miniatures where finished in Coat d'Armes paint and a coat of Windsor and Newton gloss varnish. The main colours per instructions where royal blue, golden yellow and sky blue. I'm quite happy with the "paint conversion", which is in the spirit of the old toy soldiers.

Next I wanted the box the have that retro look, so I copied the Britain's style boxes. I did however insert text on the inside of the lid, as I thought it would be a good backdrop when displaying the toys.

OOOOOH SHINY !!!!!

TADAAA!!!

I think I just might do a couple more sets like this, just for fun.

There you have it,  a first careful post, maybe the start of a renewed regular sharing of my leasure time activities.

As always,

Happy Gaming,

Pjotr




9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift, I am sure he will be delighted.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ooooh" indeed! An absolutely lovely set and a very appropriate gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a splendid gift, well done. Lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words. I regret not keeping the miniatures and gifting a bottle of vino from Aldi...
    Ah well, guess I'll have to make some new sets for my own pleasure.

    Pjotr

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, my plan for CRISIS in Novemebr was to run a game using 42mm toy soldiers. Alas, it will have to wait till next year ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bedankt Phil, in the mean time you have time before next Crisis to run an even larger 42mm game. I'm starting in 54mm plastics, just for fun (watch this space).
    If you ever need a playtester in 42mm, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried out my rules at Warcon in Gent in February. See http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/2020/02/imaginations-in-20mm-20.html

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete